As the Sky Bet Championship is now almost at the half-way stage, below are my picks as the most interesting and insightful statistics from the 2018/19 league term.
- After 22 games, the Owls are currently -3 points behind where they were at this stage last season, -13 the season prior, -9 the season prior and -4 prior to that. In fact, you would’ve to go back to 2013/14 season since Sheffield Wednesday were better off after 22 fixtures of the league campaign (currently +5).
- Sheffield Wednesday managed to score at the Liberty Stadium this season having failed in the previous 5 attempts. Additionally, the Owls have now not won an away outing in Wales in their previous 12 outings
- Sheffield Wednesday average exactly 1.3 goals per game in the league (Ranked 13th)
- The Owls average possession in the Championship is 48.4%. (Ranked 15th in the league)
- Wednesday average a 75% pass accuracy per game. (Ranked 11th in the league)
- 11.3 is the average amount of shots Sheffield Wednesday make in a league tie, 3.5 of those
on target. (Ranked 20th in the league)
- Sheffield Wednesday average 15.5 shots against them in the league, that’s more than any other club except Reading.
- The Owls average 15 crosses per game (Ranked 24th in the league)
- Cameron Dawson is the only player to play in each of the Owls’ 22 league game, racking up 1980 minutes so far.
- Lucas Joao is the Owls’ top scorer with 8 goals.
- Adam Reach leads the way with assists, 3.
- Cameron Dawson has conceded more goals than any other Championship keeper (40). David Raya of Blackburn is second on the list, conceding 34.
- Sheffield Wednesday have conceded more goals than any other club in the league (40) including the most second half conceded goals (27).
- Barry Bannan has been booked more than any other player (10) in the league and is currently serving a 2 match suspension.
- Atdhe Nuhiu is the only Owls player to have been sent off this season.
- Fernando Forestieri and Adam Reach both average the most shots per game in the Owls squad, with 1.8.
- Despite only playing 11 minutes of league football, George Boyd currently has a 100% pass accuracy rating.
- Atdhe Nuhiu wins an average of 5.7 aerial duels per game, more than any other player in the Wednesday squad. Tom Lees is a close second with 5.1.
- Joost Van Aken averages the most clearances per game with 9, despite only making one out for the Owls this term.
- Barry Bannan averages the most key passes per game with 2.2.
- Fernando Forestieri averages the most dribbles per game with 1.8. He is also fouled more than any other player in the Owls squad, winning 2.6 fouls per game on average.
- Atdhe Nuhiu and Josh Onomah are dispossessed more than any other Wednesday player, averaging 1.9 times per game.
- Marco Matias is caught offside more times than any other Owls player, once per game on average.
- Barry Bannan typically crosses the ball 1.2 times accurately on average per game, more than any other Wednesday player. He also averages more long balls than any other outfield player with 5.
- 67% of Sheffield Wednesday’s goals have been from open play (19). 29% (8) from set pieces and 4% (1) penalty.
- 43% of Sheffield Wednesday shots come from outside the box
- After 11 games, Sheffield Wednesday have mirrored the start they made the previous year (2017/18 campaign) 4 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats (16 points).
- A goal has been scored in each of the last 40 league meetings between Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United. They haven’t shared a goalless draw since 1969.
- Since the start of last season (Aug 2017), the Owls are the only side to have defeated Aston Villa at Villa Park on a Saturday. Fifteen other sides have attempted and failed to achieve this. Wednesday have now accomplished this twice.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now beaten Aston Villa in back-to-back away league outings for the firsts time in the clubs history.
- Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall still haven’t shared a goalless draw since 1947.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now won back-to-back competitive outings against Sunderland for the first time since 1914.
- Sheffield Wednesday have scored 11 goals and conceded 13 goals in the first half this season. Furthermore, they have scored 17 goals and conceded 27 goals in the second half.
- The average minute the Owls scored their first goal is in the 50th minute.
- The average minute Sheffield Wednesday concede their first goal is the 54th minute.
- Sheffield Wednesday lead for 18 minutes per game on average, 45 minutes drawing and 27 minutes trailing.
- 77% of Sheffield Wednesday fixtures have had 2.5 goals or more scored.
Thanks for reading #WAWAW
All stats via whoscored.com, soccerstats.com and uk.soccerway.com