As the Sky Bet Championship is now surpasses the 30 fixture mark, below are my picks as the most interesting and insightful statistics from the 2018/19 league term.
- Sheffield Wednesday have done the league double over Ipswich this term for the first time since the 2006/07 campaign.
- The Owls are currently the only Championship side not to pick up a single point on the road having gone behind.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now beaten Preston North-End five times consecutively on home soil.
- Surprisingly, Sheffield Wednesday will have a new manager in charge for the fifth straight outing to the KCOM Stadium (Hull City). They include; Brian Laws, Dave Jones, Carlos Carvalhal, Jos Luhukay and now Agnew/Clemence
- Sheffield Wednesday haven’t lost on Boxing Day in seven years, now winning each of their last five fixtures on the 26th December after their 1-0 victory at Middlesbrough.
- Steven Fletcher has managed to bag himself 7 goals in 7 previous appearances vs Wigan.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now ended their 27 year winless streak over Luton, with a 1-0 win courtesy of Adthe Nuhiu. Additionally, the Owls have now defeated a third-tier side in the FA Cup for the first time since a defeat to Shrewsbury in the 2015/16 term.
- Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert has never beaten an Owls side in a Championship fixture, failing previously with Blackburn, Wolves and now Ipswich.
- Jos Luhukay had the worst win % as Sheffield Wednesday manager since Chris Turner in 2004...
- After 31 games, the Owls are currently +6 points ahead where they were at this stage last season, - 15 the season prior, - 13 the season prior and level prior to that.
- Sheffield Wednesday managed to score at the Liberty Stadium this season having failed in the previous 5 attempts. Additionally, the Owls have now not won an away outing in Wales in their previous 12 outings
- Sheffield Wednesday average exactly 1.1 goals per game in the league (Ranked 17th)
- The Owls average possession in the Championship is 48.9%. (Ranked 16th in the league)
- Wednesday average a 73.3% pass accuracy per game. (Ranked 12th in the league)
- 11.7 is the average amount of shots Sheffield Wednesday make in a league tie, 3.7 of those
on target. (Ranked 18th in the league)
- Sheffield Wednesday average 14 shots against them in the league, that’s more than any other club except Reading and Bolton
- The Owls average 15 crosses per game (Ranked 22nd in the league)
- Lucas Joao is the Owls’ top scorer with 9 goals in the league.
- Adam Reach and Barry Bannan lead the way with assists, 4 each.
- Barry Bannan has been booked more than any other player (13) in the Wednesday squad
- Atdhe Nuhiu is the only Owls player to have been sent off this season.
- Fernando Forestieri averages the most shots per game in the Owls squad with 2.2 on average
- Tom Lees wins an average of 5.7 aerial duels per game, more than any other player in the Wednesday squad. Steven Fletcher is a close second with 5.5.
- Joost Van Aken averages the most clearances per game with 9, despite only making one out for the Owls this term.
- Barry Bannan averages the most key passes per game with 2.1
- Fernando Forestieri averages the most dribbles per game with 1.5. He is also fouled more than any other player in the Owls squad, winning 2.7 fouls per game on average.
- Atdhe Nuhiu and Josh Onomah are dispossessed more than any other Wednesday player, averaging 1.9 times per game.
- Marco Matias is caught offside more times than any other Owls player, 0.8 per game on average.
- Barry Bannan typically crosses the ball 1.2 times accurately on average per game, more than any other Wednesday player. He also averages more long balls than any other outfield player with 5.2.
- 22 of Sheffield Wednesday’s goals have been from open play. 11 from set pieces 1 penalty.
- 42% of Sheffield Wednesday shots come from outside the box
- After 11 games, Sheffield Wednesday have mirrored the start they made the previous year (2017/18 campaign) 4 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats (16 points).
- A goal has been scored in each of the last 40 league meetings between Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United. They haven’t shared a goalless draw since 1969.
- Since the start of last season (Aug 2017), the Owls are the only side to have defeated Aston Villa at Villa Park on a Saturday. Fifteen other sides have attempted and failed to achieve this. Wednesday have now accomplished this twice.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now beaten Aston Villa in back-to-back away league outings for the firsts time in the clubs history.
- Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall have now shared a goalless draw for the first time since 1947.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now won back-to-back competitive outings against Sunderland for the first time since 1914.
- Sheffield Wednesday have scored 14 goals and conceded 14 goals in the first half this season. Furthermore, they have scored 20 goals and conceded 31 goals in the second half.
- The average minute the Owls scored their first goal is in the 48th minute.
- The average minute Sheffield Wednesday concede their first goal is the 54th minute.
- Sheffield Wednesday lead for 20.6 minutes per game on average, 48.8 minutes drawing and 20.6 minutes trailing.
Thanks for reading #WAWAW
All stats via whoscored.com, soccerstats.com and uk.soccerway.com