The Sky Bet Championship has now well surpassed two-thirds of the league term. Thirty-six games have been played and only ten fixtures remain.
Below are my picks as the most interesting and insightful statistics from the 2017/18 league term thus far.
- Gary Hooper remains Sheffield Wednesday’s top league scorer with 10 goals
- Jordan Rhodes & Gary Hooper are Sheffield Wednesday’s top league scorers on the road with 3 goals a piece
- Adam Reach has contributed the most assists this league campaign with 8. Additionally, Reach has managed more Man of the Match performances than any other player with 4 to his name. He has conjured up the most appearances with 36 in total (3175 minutes)
- Jacob Butterfield continues to have the highest pass accuracy in the Sheffield Wednesday squad with 89%
- Although sidelined, Steven Fletcher averages the most shots per game with 1.9. Furthermore, Sam Winnall averaged 3 per game despite only making two appearances for the Owls this season
- Tom Lees has more aerial success than any other Wednesday player, averaging 4.5 per game
- Ross Wallace (7 yellows) and Daniel Pudil (1 red, 6 yellows) have been booked more than any other player this term
- George Boyd averages the most successful tackles per game with 2.1
- Defensively, Tom Lees makes the most clearences averaging 7.7 per game
- Barry Bannan averages the most passes per game in the Sheffield Wednesday squad with 64. In addition, Bannan also makes the most long ball passes for an outfield player with 4.7 on average per game
- Sheffield Wednesday have now lost five consecutive games in all competitions, the first time doing so since a run of seven defeats in November and December of 2012
- 28 goals have been scored from open play this league term, 6 from set pieces, 3 penalties and only 1 on the counter attack
- 29% of Sheffield Wednesday’s goals this league term have been scored between the 60th-75th minute
-Interestingly, the average time Sheffield Wednesday score their first goal per game is the 37th minute. Exactly, on average, the same time they concede also, the 37th minute
- Sheffield Wednesday kept six clean sheets in their nine matches under Jos Luhukay in all competitions, as many as they managed in their first 29 matches this season prior to his appointment
- Guess what? Having not overcome Swansea in the 5th round of the FA Cup, Sheffield Wednesday still haven't beaten top division opposition in the FA Cup since their 1993 semi-final win over steel city rivals Sheffield United
- This season, Sheffield Wednesday have drawn three consecutive away matches in all competitions goalless, the first time of doing so in the clubs history. The last - and only other - second tier side to do this in four consecutive away matches were Grimsby Town in May 1963
- New boss Jos Luhukay has a 10% win ratio in the league since his arrival in January
- Sheffield Wednesday are currently 25 points worse off after 36 games than they were last season
- Sheffield Wednesday infact are worse off after 36 games this season than every other season since promotion from League 1 in 2012. As shown below...
2016/17 -25 pts
2015/16 -19 pts
2014/15 -12 pts
2013/14 -8 pts
2012/13 -6 pts
- Sheffield Wednesday have conceded at least 1 goal in 78% of their home matches
- Sheffield Wednesday’s average lead time in a game is 19 minutes, 25 minutes trailing and the remainder level
- Adthe Nuhiu has contributed to the most goals under new boss Jos Luhukay. In 8 starts he has scored 4 goals and provided 3 assists
You can view all of my Sheffield Wednesday stats by visiting the #SWFCSTATS tab above. Thanks for reading.