With almost a quarter of the Sky Bet Championship campaign complete, below are my picks as the most interesting and insightful statistics from the 2018/19 league term so far.
- The Owls average possession in the Championship is 48.3%. (Ranked 16th in the league)
- Wednesday average a 75% pass accuracy per game. (Ranked 11th in the league)
- 10.6 is the average amount of shots Sheffield Wednesday make in a league tie, 3.9 of those
on target. (Ranked 21st in the league)
- Sheffield Wednesday average 16.2 shots against them in the league, that’s more than any other club.
- The Owls average 14 crosses per game (Ranked 23rd in the league)
- Cameron Dawson and Tom Lees are the only players to have made all eleven appearances in the league, racking up 990 minutes each.
- Adam Reach, Fernando Forestieri and Lucas Joao have all scored 3 league goals a piece and are the clubs joint top scorers. More interestingly, Forestieri and Joao have both scored one goal each from the centre, left and right sides of the opposition goal.
- Steven Fletcher and Adam Reach both have 2 assists to their name.
- Barry Bannan has been booked more than any other player (5 times) in the league, recently missing the West Brom contest through suspension.
- Atdhe Nuhiu is the only Owls player to have been sent off this season.
- Fernando Forestieri averages the most shots per game in the Owls squad, with 2. Fletcher is a close second with 1.8.
- Despite only playing 11 minutes of league football, George Boyd currently has a 100% pass accuracy rating.
- Tom Lees wins an average of 5.6 aerial duels per game, more than any other player in the Wednesday squad. Nuhiu is a close second with 5.4.
- Joost Van Aken averages the most clearances per game with 9.
- Barry Bannan averages the most key passes per game with 1.9.
- Fernando Forestieri averages the most dribbles per game with 2.3. He is also fouled more than any other player in the Owls squad, winning 3.1 fouls per game on average.
- Atdhe Nuhiu is dispossessed more than any other Wednesday player, averaging 2.2 times per game.
- Marco Matias is caught offside more times than any other Owls player, once per game on average.
- Barry Bannan typically crosses the ball 1.3 times on average per game, more than any other Wednesday player. He also averages more long balls than any other outfield player with 5.4.
- Sheffield Wednesday have scored more goals from outside the box (8) this league campaign than any other Championship side.
- Sheffield Wednesday are the only Championship team not to keep a clean sheet this season.
- 65% of Sheffield Wednesday’s goals have been from open play (11). 29% (5) from set pieces and 6% (1) penalty.
- 45% of Sheffield Wednesday shots come from outside the box
- Sheffield Wednesday are now unbeaten in eight league fixtures on home turf. You’d have to go back to April when they last lost at Hillsborough (1-0 to Fulham).
- After 11 games, Sheffield Wednesday have mirrored the start they made the previous year (2017/18 campaign) 4 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats (16 points).
- A goal has been scored in each of the last 40 league meetings between Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United. They haven’t shared a goalless draw since 1969.
- Since the start of last season (Aug 2017), the Owls are the only side to have defeated Aston Villa at Villa Park on a Saturday. Fifteen other sides have attempted and failed to achieve this. Wednesday have now accomplished this twice.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now beaten Aston Villa in back-to-back away league outings for the firsts time in the clubs history.
- Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall still haven’t shared a goalless draw since 1947.
- Sheffield Wednesday have now won back-to-back competitive outings against Sunderland for the first time since 1914.
- Sheffield Wednesday have scored 8 goals and conceded 8 goals in the first half this season. Furthermore, they have scored 9 goals and conceded 9 goals in the second half.
- The average minute the Owls scored their first goal is in the 45th minute.
- The average minute Sheffield Wednesday concede their first goal is the 47th minute.
- Sheffield Wednesday lead for 26.2 minutes per game on average, 37.7 minutes drawing and 26.1 minutes trailing.
- 73% of Sheffield Wednesday fixtures have had 2.5 goals or more scored.
Thanks for reading #WAWAW
All stats via whoscored.com, soccerstats.com and uk.soccerway.com